Friday 5 February 2016

Satin stitch embroidery on Raw silk Churidar kurta

I wanted a classic and traditional kind of dress. This is one of my outfits, a Churidar Kurta made in Raw silk, a greenish yellow (florescent?). The material is very skin friendly and excellent in winters; costs a bit more too.
I used several different types of stitches of hand embroidery on clothes, but never actually did satin stitch; not because I cannot do it, but because it takes more time and if done shoddily, looks really bad. there is no place to hide in a Satin stitch.
Decided to do a once in a life time project, and here it is. came out well and I am proud of myself, at the end of it. I used only the threads and colours I had with me. It took a few months to complete the embroidery. I did the embroidery on the border first and then stitched the dress. The herringbone stitches were put after the tailoring is done.

 
Material:
Raw silk (Pure silk) - 4 m.
Silk embroidery threads - Red, Golden yellow, Blue, Sky blue, White, Green.

Stitches:
Satin stitch
Herringbone stitch 
Herringbone stitch in diagonal lines on the Churidar. Used all colours except white.

Drew the design for the border myself. This way i could adjust the length of the design to the flare / width of the churidar.

Left half of the border
Right half of the border. Design is symmetrical.
The motif in the centre
Simple double lines around the blunt V neck, in herringbone stitch in red and yellow colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment